Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reconciliation Before the Sun Goes Down

Today I write with a heavy heart. Seventeen years ago I met a man. He seemed to like me and I liked him. He was distant but he was intelligent and I enjoyed being around him. We went to several events together. He was an acquaintance; he was not at the level of being a friend, but we knew each other and talked when we saw each other.
Last year, my dog, who is aggressive with larger dogs -- I think he has a Napoleonic complex -- met this man's huskie and picked a fight with his dog. His dog was not in the wrong, but on the other hand, his dog did not ignore my dog as most larger dogs do. This man was angry with me for not restraining my dog and others were angry at him for not intervening with his bigger dog and quieting the situation. He angrily stomped out of the puppy park and when he saw me, he would ignore me and play as if I was not there. I knew that he was still angry at me over the fight our dogs had gotten into.
This man, the Rev. Dr. Bruce T. Hall, passed away yesterday at 49 years of age. My heart is broken that I never reconciled with him. I waited until he made the first gesture, as he had stomped off the yard. I waited too long. Now, he is gone and I have waited too long.
There is an old saying that says we should not let the sun go down on our anger. The wisdom of this addage has always been clear, but today it is poignant.
The command of the great teacher is that we must make reconciliation on the way to court, on the way to communion, on the way of life. It is not that we are to wait
I seldom sin. But I have sinned and fallen short of the will of the Most High and I heartily confess my sin, hoping that my confession will help someone to make the first step toward reconciliation before the sun goes down today. Please have mercy on me, O Great Comforter, and grant me pardon and remission of my sin. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are in my thoughts and prayers today. None of us are perfect, and through our stumblings we learn. Psalm 51 filled my mind as I read your plea. May you find the reconciliation and forgiveness you seek.

    Blessings Upon You And Your Family Rabbi Barry.

    ReplyDelete